Cadets Favored to Win in Hep Cross Country Meet

By George S. Abrams

The Crimson harriers are rated as distinct darkhorses for the Heptagonal cross country championship today at Van Cortlandt Stadium in New York. Defending champion Army, with last year's winner Dick Shea returning, has been installed as the heavy favorite.

One Loss

The meet will bring together the top harriers from the Ivy League schools and the two military academies. While Shea is expected to repeat his win, he will undoubtedly receive strong competition from Brown's Walt Molineux, Stan Smiley of Dartmouth. Al Pittis, Princeton captain, and the Crimson's Dave Gregory.

Harvard's previous performances against four of today's opponents indicate that the Crimson should give a good account of itself. Harvard has decisively defeated Brown, Dartmouth, and Princeton, while losing only to Yale on the Blue's tricky home course.

Gregory Leads

Yale, Cornell, and possibly Navy also have outside chances to pull an upset. The Elis showed depth in defeating Harvard and Princeton last week and with two key men back from the injured list, are the second choice.

Jaakko Mikkola, returning to his squad after a recent operation, plans to run his seven top men, led by Gregory. Dave Cairns, who has shown great improvement in the last two meets, should be able to finish among the top ten according to past performances.

Sophomores Key

The Crimson's success will depend on the performances of the sophomore group: Hal Gerry, Hugh Maguire, Emil San Soucie, and Bruce Phillips. The four ran disappointing races in the Yale-Princeton meet but are capable of finishing higher. Senior Steve Sharp, who has been improving each week, will round out the squad.

The harriers will have an additional incentive in the meet. The H.A.A. has promised to pay the expenses of a trip to the I.C.A.A. meet a week from this Monday if the team manages to finish fifth or better.