8 Wrestlers Will Compete In Eastern Championships

Light varsity wrestlers departed yesterday for Bethehem, Pennsylvania, to compete for individual and team titles in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association championships at Lehigh University today and tomorrow.

Coach Bob Pickett has been able to muster his finest lineup, but competition in every class is extremely difficult. Pennsylvania State College, the defending titlist, is the only undefeated team in a field of 16 squads and 128 contestants. The Nittany Lions, always a wrestling power, are the best bet to take this one, too.

The other entries represent the East's top squads. Crimson wrestlers have met four of these teams--Yale, Brown, Columbia, and Army--each time they were defeated fairly decisively. Among the other squads are Princeton, Rutgers, Lehigh, and Syracuse who consistently produce strong mat teams.

In the individual matches, Pickett's most likely winner is Captain Johnny Lee in the 123-pound class. Lee, who has gone undefeated in two season of varsity wrestling, is holder of the National A.A.U. 123-pound title.

Pickett's other outstanding performers will probably be Bud Adams at 137, Icko Iben at 147, and sophomore Chick Chandler at 157. Sophomore Eddie Bursk at 130, Tony Caimi at 167, Dick Farrington at 177, and George Bates at unlimited will round out the Crimson lineup.