Coach Tries Running Plays; Continues Juggling Backfield

The varsity football team went through a lengthy offensive drill at Soldiers Field yesterday, with the emphasis on running plays.

Coach Lloyd Jordan drilled his team particularly on offensive specialties for the Springfield game before bringing together his complete offensive and defensive units.

Jordan made many changes in the offensive backfield as he tried various combinations together. The regular backfield of Dick Clasby, John Culver, John Ederer and Gil O'Neil started, but later Culver gave way to Jerry Blitz at fullback and O'Neil to Bob Hardy at quarterback.

Another offensive backfield alignment put Bill Monteith at quarterback, Hardy Cox at tailback, and Jerry Blitz at fullback, while Otis Dewan and Frank White alternated at wingback. The first line remained fairly intact, with Paul Crowley and Hank Rate at ends and John Nichols and Bob Stargel at tackles.

Tim Anderson subbed at guard on offense for Eli Manos, who is still favoring an injured ankle, while John Jennings was the other guard. Jennings was replacing Art Pappas, who was absent from practice because of illness in his family.

Jeff Coolidge was the opening center on offense. Buddy Lemay, who had been operating as first line center, was in the starting defensive lineup at a line backer position.

Because the emphasis was on offense, the defensive team were body protectors, which slowed the wearers down considerably, but saved them from possible injury. The pads, which resemble baseball catchers' chest protectors, cover the wearer from chest to ankle.

Jordan announced before practice that Bill Weber, a blocking back last year, has been converted to a defensive end position. He also revealed that the varsity squad has been reduced to 40 men, although the last ten men fall into a "half varsity, half junior varsity" category.

Jordan said the battle for the third wingback position was still very much on between Dewan and White.