Rioting at Brown, Princeton Evokes Deans' Warnings

Gashes, burns, shaved heads, and ominous decanal warnings were common on at least two eastern campuses this week. Although Yardlings here have yet to gather to the cry of "Rinehart", at Princeton and Brown the freshmen are rioting already.

Both colleges sanction freshman disturbances in one way or another. Worried lest the whole sophomore class might not participate in hazing of Beanie-wearing freshmen, the Bruin '55 class committee called a meeting last Thursday "to discuss the hazing of freshmen by the entire sophomore class."

At Princeton the traditional class riots are at least tacitly approved, but vandalism and six injuries treated in McCosh Infirmary last Monday night caused Dean Francis R. B. Godolphin to put into full force the University regulation prohibiting student participation in riots.

"Fun's fun, but when people get hurt, and citizens find it necessary to complain it is time to call a halt," Godolphin declared. However, the next evening nine more undergraduates were injured.

Two Tiger undergraduates were admitted to the infirmary with second-degree burns, after freshmen discouraged one sophomore invasion with boiling water. Many freshman heads were clipped in amateur upperclass barbershops during which two men were badly slashed. Godolphin discourages the use of scissors for such operations, but says that the use of electric razors has official encouragement.

At Brown, freshmen reacted to the traditional week-long hazing by the sophomore Vigilance Committee, rioted on the campus, serenaded neighboring Pembroke, and burned their "dinks."