Sert Cited as Good Design Choice, Though Some Opposed to Outsider

General reaction is highly favorable to the appointment of Jose Luis Sert as Dean of the Design School. But a small group expressed disappointment that the new head was not picked from the school faculty when contacted yesterday.

The selection of Sert to succeed retiring Dean Joseph Hudnut was announced Wednesday by President Conant. The internationally known designer and city planner will take office September 1.

Sert's broad background was stressed by these favoring his appointment, and many felt that he would not make any major changes in Design School policy. Charles H. Burchard, assistant professor of Architecure, termed the new appointment "a very good one."

Well-Rounded

"I should be very much surprised if there were any changes in design policy," commented Norman T. Newton, associate professor of Landscape. "Sert is a well-rounded designer with a broad range of interests and abilities," said Burchard. He supported Newton's comment that the new Dean would probably make no changes in policy.

"Mixed feelings greeted the appointment," commented one professor, who refused to be named. He felt many were angry that Sert had not been chosen from the Design School faculty. "He is not an American designer, and has done much of his work outside this country," he continued.

He expressed the view that the new Dean would desire to reorganize the school and to express his won interests and views. "This appointment is a clear-cut victory for those favoring the policies of Walter Gropius."

A third reaction to the new Dean was voiced by Coleman Woodbury, Charles Dyer Norton Professor of Regional Planning, who felt that many professors in the Design School did not know Sert.

William L. C. Wheaton, associate professor of Regional Planning, praised the new Dean as "a very talented designer." "He is familiar with the school's work as a special lecturer and visiting critic in the Department of Regional Planning during the post-war years." Sert gave several lectures here in 1947 and 1948.

Burchard stressed the necessity for the Design School to extend its interests under the new Dean. "There is a need to further integrate planning with architecture, and to develop better design," he continued.

"You can call most any member of the faculty and you will find him very keen about Sert," explained Newton.