Varsity Crew Rows Against Yale Tomorrow on Thames

By M. L. Cudhea

The first 100 years are alleged to be the hardest, but the 101st year of Harvard rowing finds the situation about the same as usual a good crew (in this case, Harvard) meets a poorer crew (in this case, Yale) and the result is absolutely impossible to predetermine.

Over the four-mile course on the Thames, Crimson crews have managed to win 46 races during the past century. But the Old Blue is only five behind; this year, as in most years, it seeks an upset.

Leading the Crimson tomorrow in this year's version of the oldest intercollegiate event in America will be Captain Phil DuBois and stroke Larry Brownell, who stroked the boat for the EARC regatta.

In that race, he pulled the Crimson to within three-quarters of a length of Navy, the Olympic champions. Yale, in that race, didn't even reach the finals.

The apparent superiority of the Crimson is nothing to bank upon. Stroked by Phil Grover, the Eli crew has much talent which never has pulled together; if it should, the Elis will dock victorious underdogs at New London.

Special Train Runs

Crimson and Yale partisans alike will view the race, which starts at 7:30 p.m., from a special observation train which runs along the banks of the Thames, and from hundreds of small craft on the river.

At 6:00 p.m., the Crimson's twice defeated freshman crew will meet its Yale counterparts, in a two mile battle starting at the Submarine Base with finish at Barlett's Cove.

At 6:45 p.m., the junior varsities will row the same course, with the Crimson again the favorite, as it will be in all three races.

The varsity boating: stroke, Brownell; 7, Atherton; 6, Boyden; 5, Darrell; 4, DuBois; 3, Geertsema; 2, Adams; bow, Huntington; cox, Lefkowitz.