Swimmers Go To Princeton For Easterns

By L. THOMAS Linden

Hal Ulen takes his now once beaten swimming squad down to Princeton, N. J., today for the Eastern individual championship meet. On the basis of the team's speed this season, he will come back after the end of competition on Saturday with three victories. It could be four.

Since the meet determines only individual championships, the Crimson cannot beat anybody. But the relative success of members of the team will probably prove what everyone already has guessed that the varsity is the second boat team in the East.

The best team, Yale, will not be the Crimson's hindrance. Rather, the varsity will be held back by the regulations of the meet, which state that no swimmer can enter more than three events.

Hawkins Favored

Dave Hawkins will swim in the 100 and 200-yard breast stroke, both of which he ought to win. Ralph Zani and Dick Stenson will join him and should do well over the shorter distance. Hawkins has broken the Crimson breast stroke record three times this year, his best effort setting an IAB pool mark of 2:15.9 against Columbia on March 6.

Jimmy Jorgensen chopped a full second off Hawkins' record in the 220 free style when he set a new Crimson mark of 2:08.1 at Yale last Saturday. This time is the season' fastest in the East and third fastest in the country. If Jorgensen can sustain it, he will again defeat the Elis' Marty Smith and return to Cambridge with the Crimson's third first place finish. Alan Rapperport will also enter this event.

Jorgensen Anchors Relay

Jorgensen, in addition, will swim in the 100, along with Jack Dinsmoor, Gus Johnson, Rapperport, and Ted Whatley. Jorgensen has equalled Dave Hedberg's Crimson record for this distance with a 51.7 clocking at New Haven, but he is not credited with a tie since he placed second to a 50.3 clocking by Yale's Kerry Donovan.

Jorgensen will anchor Hawkins and Don Mulvey in the Crimson's 300-yard medley relay entry, the fastest trio Ulen has yet put together. Because the 220 race directly followed this event down at Yale, Jorgensen could not swim both. This combination may edge the Elis for another first.

All-American back stroker Don Mulvey will swim both the 100-and 200-yard distances at Princeton and will be accompanied over the shorter race by teammates Bill Bingham and Eric Ueland. Pete Wittereid of Army, however, will probably not allow Mulvey to place higher than second. This was the case in the varsity-Cadet meet on Feb. 6.

Egan Joins Geer

Captain Charley Egan will either join Duke Geer in the 440 free style or Marv Sandler in the 150-yard individual medley. He can only swim in one because they are consecutive events.

Either Johnson, Dinsmoor, or Geer will swim second on the 400-yard relay team of Whatley, Sandler, and Rapperport. The three event limitation again prevents this from being the varsity's best entry, but Whatley swam the fastest 100 yards of his life at New Haven last week, and the quartet will not be lame.

Johnson and Dinsmoor will enter the 50-yard sprint for the varsity while Pete Smails and Marshall Walter will be its diving representatives.

Dartmouth's John Glover, John Heyn, and Joe Hust will be Yale's strongest challengers in this sprints, but the Elis figure to sweep the dive and free style relay.