Twenty Falls Mark Bouts in House Wrestling Semi-finals

Of the 25 semi-final inter-House wrestling bouts held at the Blockhouse yesterday afternoon, a majority ended in surprisingly quick falls.

Two of the three decisions saw defending champions Lawrence Wilde of Lowell and Bill Schoferein of Eliot win again in the 157 and 147 pound classes respectively. In the third decision, Adams' John Lane won over Dudley's Burt Hersh in the House 157 pound bout.

Two other defending House titlists were not as fortunate. Dave Royce of Lowell in the 123 pound class took down former champ Joe Sullivan of Dunster with a quick pin. Later in the matches Eliot's Nool Scullin deposed last year's titleholder, John Rosenthal, to claim the 177 pound victory.

Anderson Stops Waring

Defaults occurred in two of the bouts, Eliot's Tim Anderson stopped Winthrop's Phil Waring in the unlimited class while Kirkland's Bob Swan halted Leverett's Jim Barrett in the house 167 pound match. The latter bout was the hardest fought of the entire tournament, with the loser, Barrett, nearly pinning his opponent twice.

Another outstanding match found the Puritans' Louis LeFevre winning a fall in the other semi-final House unlimited bout from the Dragon's John Tierney. LeFevre has won all his matches by falls and should prove a strong contender for Tim Anderson in the House unlimited final tonight.

Mel Ingalls of Adams looked impressive in winning a fall off Dunster's Bob Fish, which foreshadows another prospectively fine-bout when he meets champion Scullin in the House 177 pound final.

Banks Early Champion

The freshman matches produced an unlimited class champion a day ahead of time when Matthews' Pete Banks, who earlier decisioned Wigglesworth's Pete Gaynor, won the fall from his teammate, Langdon Smith. Smith shortly after had taken a fall from Apley's Dong Keith.

In other Yardling bouts, Hollis' Dave McLean won by a fall from Apley's Archie Leyasmeyer in a 137 pound encounter. At the same weight, Matthews North's John Butcher took a fall of Apley's Myron Barr. The 147 pound class found two Matthews men, Ed Pasternack and Rock Norby, losing by falls to Apley's Dan Murphy and Massachusetts' Bob Wilbur, respectively.

Smith and Gardiner Win

The 157 pound matches saw Gordon Smith of Grays stop Phil Southall of Holworthy and Keith Gardiner of Massachusetts halt John Read of Matthews North. Both men scored victories by falls.

The finals tonight have Eliot entering four men, barely winning top House representation over the three representatives starting for Adams and Lowell, Kirkland ties Leverett with two contestants. Winthrop has a lone entry while Dunster and Dudley have none.

The finals will take place at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the IAB. Director of Intramural Athletics Adolph W. Samborski '25 feels that the meet should draw a crowd of nearly 1,000.