Ivy Films Will Be Sole Group Here To Show Movies

Ivy Films will be the only organization in the lucrative film-showing business at the College this year.

The United Nations Council and the Harvard Liberal Union have been put out of the money-making role by restrictions which they brought on themselves at the hands of Robert B. Watson, Dean of Students.

Watson's office reported yesterday that Ivy Films alone had requested and received permission to put on movies here.

Phillippe Villers '55, president of the Harvard Liberal Union, admitted, "We don't plan to have any showings in accordance with Dean Watson's decision to limit that to one group."

The UN Council and the HLU presented movies in competition with Ivy until last year, when squabbles over conflicting dates and film titles forced Robert B. Watson, Dean of Students, to step in.

Divided Profits

The result was Ivy Cinema, a co-ordinating organization which arranged for the film showings and divided the profits between the three member groups.

But while movies brought in large profits to all three organizations separately, it didn't pay when the three combined. The UN Council dropped out before it lost all its money, and Ivy Cinema folded by the year's end.

Tickets by Subscription

Ivy Films will run a closed series of eight shows on Wednesday nights Robert Consolmagno '55, co-chairman, announced. Tickets will be sold only by subscription at three dollars for the full series, and go on sale in about ten days. Two shows will be given on each night, at 7:30 and 9:30.

The series is entitled, "Great Moments of the Movies." Among the pictures to be shown are "M," "Anna Christie," "Lost Weekend," "All Quiet on the Western Front," and "The Great Train Robbery."

Ivy Films was originally organized to make movies and show films demonstrating the history and development of the film technique.