Academic Moderne, Inc

Cabbages and Kings

By Edmund H. Harvey

Rarely does a school catalogue qualify as literature, but once in a while one appears whose clan, whose style, whose theme must stand as art, not mere advertisement. Such a brochure is that of the Academic Moderne, 35 Commonwealth Ave., Boston. It is dedicated to "The Development of Woman's Most Precious Possession, 'Natural Femininity'." Our first through is that this "Natural Femininity" might not be so hard to come by for members of the female sex, but as we move through the pamphlet, the special qualifications of both "natural" and "feminine" become apparent.

It is Mrs. Mildred Albert, affectionately called "our Dean," whose spirit pervades the entire publication. Accustomed as we are to the misuse of the phrase "unusual versatility," it is obvious that no other words could describe Mrs. Mildred Albert. A graduate of the Sargent School of Physical Education, a former posture expert, a family woman of "considerable social activity," she also has "professional interests" which include lecturing to women's clubs and other groups on "various aspects of feminine charm and graceful living." "Graceful living" along with "Natural Femininity" are the two criteria by which "Natural Femininity" are the two criteria by which Mrs. Albert directs her school. Her knowledge of both these traits is little short of extensive, for in her spare time she is co-director of Promotions, Inc., a model agency featuring the "Hart Girls," several of which have graduated from the Academic Moderne.

In the section entitled "Our Beginning" we have some very good examples not only of the theme of the publication, but its style. Here are some excerpts:

"Back in 1937 seven young ladies came to Mrs. Albert and asked her to help them bridge the gap from the young, uncertain, immature girl to the well poised, gracious, attractively groomed, confident young lady." It is plain by the girls' choice of words that Mrs. Albert had some pretty good material to start with, but this should not detract from her future accomplishments.

"The curriculum is predicated on the theory that every individual has potentialities, which when encouraged and developed, spell success." Although this thought may sound a trifle well-worn at first glance, we notice the clever variation of tone within the sentence: the intellectual sound of "predicated" coupled with the homily of "spell success."

The school's motto is no dried-up, impersonate Latin word like "Veritas," but a quotation from Byron: "She walks in beauty like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies: and all that's best of light and dark, meet in the aspect of her eyes," which, as we are told, "is symbolic of the Academic Moderne graduate."

Since it is impossible to describe certain of the photographs which appear in Academic Moderne, Inc., we have reprinted one to show how perfectly they support the text. As we have hinted above, the writing style is no small indication of the finesse and confidence and all-around charm that the Academic Modernc graduate achieves.