Booters to Oppose Tufts in Opener

Face Jumbos Today In Medford Game, Rule as Favorite

The Crimson soccer team must rule as favorite in today's 4 p.m. opener with Tufts. With the first two center forwards, Grey Hodnett and Shad Tubman, returning to action, the booters should show a much tighter attack than they did Friday in a lethargic scrimmage against Boston University, when poor passing kept the score down to 8 to 0 for the Crimson.

Equally important to Crimson chances is the inexperience of the Jumbos. Not a very strong team last year, when their record was five wins and four losses, they lost heavily at graduation, and only their goalie and fullbacks were starters last year.

Against this rookie crew, Coach Bruce Munro will field a veteran eleven, of whom eight started regularly last year. Besides Hodnell, the number one center, the front line will boast Hank Holmes at outside left and Bill Lingelbach at outside right. Dick Fisher will play inside right and sophomore Ken McIntosh will start at inside left instead of regular Charlton MacVagh, out with a charleyhorse.

As his halfbacks Munro will use Dennis Little at left, the elder Holmes brother, Stacey, at center, and John Hadik at right. Captain Hugh Sargent will play right halfback and sophomore Don Beaver will be at left halfback in front of goalie Lindsay Fisher.

The team could use a convincing victory today to bring it up for Saturday's Ivy League opener with Cornell. But even more beneficial might be a stiff fight from Tufts. Though apparently unlikely, such a display is always possible in soccer; and if the Jumbos can bring one forth today, they will do the Crimson fortunes a great service by making the booters play their best. If, on the contrary, they fold up, the only benefit to the Crimson will be to the players' own scoring records.