Hasty Pudding Show Will Preserve 108-Year Tradition: To Omit Girls

'The Golden Fleecer'

Tradition was the deciding factor yesterday when the 108-year-old Hasty Pudding Theatricals ruled that there will be no girls in its December production, "The Golden Fleecer."

The musical comedy, which opens December 2 in the newly remodeled Hasty Pudding Theatre, will feature instead its usual all-male cast, accompanied by a professional 11-piece band. He, Wright Briggs '31, Director of the University Band, will conduct the pit orchestra.

Theatricals President Robert F. R. Ballard '56 announced that the show would also tour four cities down to Washington, D.C., after it closes in Cambridge on December 18. It will open in New York on Christmas Day.

Based on the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece, the musical will have choreography by Tilda Morse, assistant choreographer of the Metropolitan Opara Co. It was written by M. L. Clark Tyler '56 with music by Varick M. Bacon '55.

Ballard said that the show's Cambridge premiere will be attended by the Hasty Pudding's selection of the Woman-of-the-Year. He added that the less chosen may come from a field of candidates including Grace Kelly, Jean Simmons, and the Five Goldwyn Girls, stars of the new movie, "Guys and Dolls."

Donn Fisher, Pudding Theatricals director for the last three years, will direct the original musical, Ballard will be its producer, assisted by Peter J. Parker '56.

Set in Arizona in 1912, the musical's story concerns two grafters who attempt to take possession of a circus.