Divinity School Initiates Second Phase Of Fund Raising Drive With $4,000,000

Receives $500,000 In Sealantic Grant

The Divinity School has started the second phase of its two year old fund raising campaign, with a $500,000 donation from the Sealantic Fund, it was disclosed last night.

The $500,000 gift was received just after the Divinity School had reached the $4,000,000 goal in the first leg of the current drive. The goal was reached when the drive received $250,000 last Wednesday in a bequest from the late Mrs. T.W. Lamont.

The Sealantic Fund, which was founded by John D. Rockefeller Jr., announced the Harvard donation as part of $10,375,000 given to six theological schools in various parts of the country. The Fund is directed by the National Endowment Committee, of which John Lord O'Brian '96, is chairman. O'Brien was the University's Godkin lecturer last year.

Gift to Ralse Salaries

The gift will be used immediately by the Divinity School to increase faculty salaries. Previous donations, however, have gone to expansion of the faculty and the student body.

The Divinity School fund raising drive, with $4,500,000 at present, is striving for an additional $1,000,000, after which the University will contribute another $500,000, and the drive is expected to end with $7,000,000.

Douglas Horton, Dean of the Divinity School, expressed extreme gratitude for the donation, commenting that "the country is exceedingly fortunate in having a fund such as this, that has such an enlightened attitude toward educational donations."

The Divinity School received a $1,000,000 grant from Rockefeller in person in 1954.