Grays Five Tops Wigg; to Oppose Hollis for Crown

Grays will meet Hollis for the freshman intramural basketball championship at 8:30 tonight in the I.A.B. Last night Grays defeated Wigglesworth East, 47 to 37, to win the second half title and earn the right to meet first, half champion Hollis.

Grays downed Wigg with a stretch drive in which it scored ten points while holding the losers scoreless. Wigg had rallied from an 11-point deficit to draw even at 37-all with three minutes to go, but the final burst decided the issue.

Charley Currier broke the tie with two foul shots to give Grays a 39 to 37 lead, then Dale Junta scored on a jump shot and Mike Prichard added a foul. Ahead 42 to 37, the winners closed out the scoring when Larry Sears sank a lay-up, Currier scored a foul, and Tony Gilbert netted a push shot.

The losers went ahead at the start on accurate shooting by Ralph Vizcarrondo and Jack Bitzer, the game's high scorer, and they led, 13 to 7, after five minutes. Sears and Currier then paced a rally that gave Grays a 25 to 18 halftime lead.

Grays displayed a better-balanced attack than Wigg and dominated the back-boards, but Wigg had superior shooting from the floor.

The winners spread their scoring evenly, with Currier's 16 points making him his side's high scorer.