Kirkland Five Wins Title, Defeating Funsters, 46-43

In the last minute of a close game last night, a Kirkland House basketball team defeated Dunster House, 46-43, not only clinching first place in the "B" league, but also capturing for the Deacons the overall basketball championship. Although Winthrop Houses has reached first position in the "A" league, its tie for third place in league "B" gives it a lower point total for basketball than Kirkland.

The Dunster quintet took a lead in the first minute of the game which it maintained for over ten minutes. The Deacons then built up their score to gain a slight and temporary edge over their opponents, but the two teams were tied at the half, 28-28.

After five scoreless minutes, both teams went into action, and with one minute left to play Kirkland had gained a three-point lead which even a last-minute Dunster offensive could not break down.

Kirkland's George McGarrity led the scoring with 19 points and the jump shots of McGarrity and Dick Fisher secured the Deacon victory. The Funsters' strength lay in the shooting of forward Otis Dewan and center Don Yaceshin.

A final tabulation of the individual point scores puts the Deacon's John Green in first place for both single-game and season's total scores with 24 and 226 points respectively. Runner-up in total points in John Hurst of Lowell with 181, and third is Dunster's Burt Berson with a total of 179 points.