WGBH-TV May Present H.D.C. Shows This Fall

Club Will Participate In Closed Telecast Later This Month

The Dramatic Club will probably start full-scale television operations this fall over WGBH-TV, John H. Poppy '57, HDC president, announced last night.

A closed-circuit telecast of one act from the club's spring production, "The seagull" has already been scheduled for March 18, he continued. The purpose of this test program will be "to see if HDC productions can be adapted for television."

Workshop May Also Broadcast

If the program is a success, future major productions as well as New Theater Workshop plays will be televised ever WGBH-TV after the station starts regular broadcasts in May. "We will be among the first college dramatic clubs to perform on television," poppy said.

The Workshop, an experimental group which produces plays written by undergraduates, may even have a regularly televised series next fall. "I'm sure many people would be very anxious to write plays specially for television," Stephen A. Aaron, director of the Workshop, said last night.

Possible Actors' Laboratory

WGHH-TV is an educational television station operated by the Lowell Institute cooperative Broadcasting Council, of which the University is a members. According to Paul Rader, director of Production for the station, the Dramatic Club's activities in television will limited "only by how much it wants to tackle."

Aaron also mentioned the possibility of starting a television actor's laboratory for those scheduled to perform in the plays. "Acting in TV is quite different from the stage," he said, "and our members would have to become thoroughly acquainted with the different techniques required before we could put on a successful television show."

Thse now activities in television would bot affect HDC's present policy of producing three or four major productions for the stage each year, Poppy noted. "The community needs those," he said.