Aga Khan Establishes Chair of Iranian Here

Son Sadruddin Khan Also Gives Fellowships For Moslem Study of Middle East Culture

The Aga Khan, world-famous leader of the Ismaili Community, a sect of the Moslem religion, has endowed a professorship of Iranian at the University, President Pusey announced yesterday.

The chair, to be known as the Aga Khan Professorship of Iranian, will be devoted to the study of the history and civilization of Iran. Its purpose, according to the Khan, is "to preserve and transmit to future generations knowledge of the rich heritage of the Iranian past."

At the same time, Sadruddin Aga Khan 1G, son of the Aga Khan, has established the Ismaili Community Fellowships for the study of the Middle East here. In awarding the fellowships, preference will be given to students who are members of the Ismaili Community and then to any other Moslem.

The Ismaili Community, of which the Aga Khan is the leader, is a sect of Islam which broke off from the main religion shortly after its founding.

In announcing the gifts, Pusey said, "The sentiment of the Aga Khan and his son, Sadruddin, in thus fostering the growth of understanding between the East and the West is one we all deeply share. Certainly, all peoples around the world need to know and better understand the cultural heritage of those who are our neighbors in the modern age."

Will Work at Mid-East Center

The Aga Khan Professor will play an integral role in the University's Center for Middle Eastern Studies, established two years ago under the directorship of William L. Langer '15, professor of History.

"When the Center was established," Langer said, "we had high hopes that, in addition to providing general training in the languages and affairs of the Middle East, we could initiate significant new studies in the history and culture of these countries. It is a great satisfaction that the Aga Khan's interest will enable us to expand the work being done in this important field and to put it on a secure, permanent basis."