Randall Says Businessmen Often Neglect Liberal Arts Graduates

In Final Lecture of Series

Clarence B. Randall '12, a special assistant to President Eisenhower, said last night that industry is at present neglecting in prospective employees, "the qualities which at middle life will produce the wisdom and judgement required for broad leadership."

In the last of three lectures on "A Businessman looks at the Liberal Arts," Randall asserted that most businessmen seek men with abilities "that can be made immediately effective in the shop."

Even though these businessmen realize the value of liberal arts training in members of their own companies "who approach mature responsibility," they fail to realize that they must hire liberal arts graduates to provide a continuing supply of such people.

Randall noted that he was encouraged, however, that some businessmen have set up advanced training programs in their plants to give broadening educations to men who will later take increasing responsibility in industry.

Randall said that the modern corporation had become "an instrumentality for social progress," and that "survival of the corporation and survival of the nation are inseparable." He added that in such corporations the businessman has infinite opportunities to aid social progress, by taking an interest in education, supporting social agencies, participating in government, and participating in other public activities.