Deacons Clinch Straus Trophy With Track Win

Kirkland House was officially declared the winner of the Straus Trophy last night with a grand total of 1717 3/4 points, a new record in the 20-year competition for the trophy. The Deacons cinched their victory last Friday by capturing first place in House track.

Winthrop finished second in the final scoring with 1606 3/4 points while Dunster, who has won the trophy for the last four years, slipped to third place this year with a total of 1403 3/4. Following the Funsters, Lowell, Adams, Eliot, Leverett, and Dudley finished in that order. Kirkland's victory this year marks the ninth time that they have won the trophy.

In Friday's track meet, Adams dominated the first place winners with seven, but it was the Deacons' depth in all events that eventually won the meet for them. Kirkland actually had only one first place, in the javelin, but it was the only House to score in every event. It finished with 57 points, 5 ahead of second place Adams. Winthrop, Lowell, Eliot, and Dunster were the also-rans. Dudley and Leverett did not score.

Jim Damis of Adams won the 100 yards dash in ten seconds flat to set a new house record as the Gold Coasters dominated the running events. Winthrop got one of its three first places in the 220 as Griff Winthrop won with a time of 23 seconds. In the 120 yard hurdles, Dick Weller of Adams won in 15.4 seconds.

The Gold Coasters got still another first place in the 440 when Jon Beecher won in the excellent time of 54.2 seconds. Beecher then teamed up with Weller, Damis, and Charles Currier to win the half mile relay for Adams in the record, breaking time of 1:38.4. Herb Parsons won both the 880 and the mile for Lowell, 2:08 and 4:59.4 respectively.

In the field events, Jack Cooksey of Winthrop won the discus with a toss of 107 feet, 7 inches. Frank Weller of Adams won the broad jump with a leap of 19 feet, 10 1/2 inches while Greg Stone took first place in the shotput at 51-3. Bob Travis won the only first place for Kirkland by taking the javelin with a throw of 157 feet, 10 inches. Frank Weller also won the high jump at 6 feet, 1 3/4 inches a new record in house competition.