Radcliffe Group to Study New Tutorial Problems

A committee has been formed to study the place of Radcliffe students in a tutorial system based on the Harvard Houses, Mrs. Wilma A. Kerby-Miller, Dean of Instruction, announced yesterday.

The committee will study both where and with whom Radcliffe students have tutorial. Increased Harvard House tutorial and the emphasis on honors tutorial in the junior year, has awakened a greater demand for Radcliffe facilities, Mrs. Kerby-Miller explained.

A possible solution would be "arranging tutorial in the Radcliffe quadrangle" through offices in dormitories, similar to the House system, she said.

Mixed Groups Stressed

The composition of tutorial groups will also be considered. Mrs. Kerby-Miller stressed the hope for "at least some mixed groups." She emphasized that group composition is based primarily upon subject matter, rather than being determined along Harvard or Radcliffe lines.

Mrs. Hanna H. Gray, instructor in History and Literature and a member of the committee, noted that both she and Mrs. Elizabeth Brown, teaching fellow in History, are tutors in Kirkland House, where they meet both Harvard and Radcliffe tutees. However, since Radcliffe students are not associated with a Harvard House, they are often assigned tutors also not House affiliates. Whether this situation works to the disadvantage of Radcliffe students is a problem the committee ought to consider, Mrs. Gray said.

Carl Kaysen, professor of Economics, emphasized that "girls are not necessarily prevented from being members of a tutorial group." He noted that he had once taught a Radcliffe student in a Kirkland House group tutorial session.

The study committee, with Mrs. Kerby-Miller as chairman, will include Kaysen, Mrs. Gray, Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe, Kathleen O. Elliott, Dean of Instruction, and Reuben A. Brower, professor of English.