Quakers Loom as Football Power

The Sporting Scene

By Michael S. Lottman

Ivy League football came of age last Saturday, as the League's leading representative, the University of Pennsylvania, gave a traditionally strong Navy eleven a real scare, and then settled for a 22-22 tie. Playing before 26,000 spectators at Franklin Field, the Quakers served notice on their remaining Ivy opponents and the major Eastern powers as well.

The squad the Crimson must face Saturday displayed an unexpectedly fine passing attack and a tremendous defense in holding the heavily favored Middies to a stand-off. A group of 1,900 Midshipmen, in Philadelphia for Penn's Junior Weekend and the Navy's first free period of the fall, staggered off to the post-game fraternity parties in a daze.

Local Quaker adherents, who now feel sure their team will go all the way this season, were jubilant. The goalposts fell within minutes after the game ended, and the campus rang with victory cries far into the night.

Navy Strikes First

As the partisan Franklin Field crowd watched, too entranced even to indulge in the custom of passing freshmen up to the top of the stands, Navy struck first against the Quakers, tallying early in the first period.

Penn roared back, and with everyone expecting a pass on a fourth down play, Quaker quarterback George Koval threw to end Barney Berlinger deep in the end zone from 11 yards out.

Near the close of the first quarter, one of the most spectacular scoring plays of the season took place. Koval faded back, fought off a determined group of swarming Middies, and threw the ball as far as he could down the middle of the field. Forty yards away, Quaker halfback Peter Schantz was outrunning two Navy defenders. He caught up with the football on the 10 and tallied--a 60-yard scoring pass. The Quakers led, 12 to 8.

Penn Leads at Half

After Penn halfback Ed Shaw punted to Ronnie Brandquist deep in Middie territory with only 1:30 left in the first half, Quaker end John Seksinsky smashed into Brandquist and a blocker so hard that he caused the Navy back to fumble. Seconds later, halfback Fred Doelling scored, and Shaw's kick gave Penn a 19-8 margin.

Bolstered by its hat-waving, unflagging cheering section, Navy fought back behind the passing of substitute quarter-back Jim Maxfield. The Middies scored twice in the first nine minutes of the final period.

With 1:46 remaining in the contest and a fourth and three situation on the Navy eight, Shaw calmly came through with a perfect 24-yard field goal and the game was deadlocked.

After several years of rebuilding, the Quakers from Penn have arrived in a big way. The Crimson will be lucky to stay in the game Saturday.