Yugoslav Ambassador Calls Coexistence Key To Relaxing Tension

Peace can come only with a climate of coexistence among nations, the Yugoslavian Ambassador to the United Nations stated here last night.

Dobrivoje Vidic, in a speech sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe U.N. Council, said that the countries of the world must overcome military blocs, reduce international tension, and promote understandings of different cultures to attain peaceful coexistence, "the essential need of our time--the atomic age."

"A status quo cannot remain," Vidic added. "It is in human nature to change, but with coexistence these changes need not cause international conflicts.

Speaking for the Yugoslavians, the ambassador said that if there is a peaceful coexistence, "we hope to be the first to benefit." But Vidic called upon the larger nations to effect a peace. "The small countries like Yugoslavia cannot do as much, but the powers, with confidence and optimism, can work together.

He claimed "the Russian people want peace, and their government is under pressure to seek it."

Vidic opened his remarks with a report on the history of the "new Yugoslavia," which he stated, has been liberated from domination and better organized through its socialism and new economic structure.