Radcliffe '62 Breaks Grade Record; 48% Make Dean's List at Midyears

Radcliffe Freshmen achieved a higher percentage of students with Dean's List standing at midyears than any other Freshman Class in the College's history, Ruth K. Davenport, Registrar of Radcliffe College, announced yesterday. Forty-eight per cent of the Class of '62 have standing of Group Three or better.

Observing that the next highest percentage in the last 15 years was 43 percent, earned by the Classes of '58 and '61, Miss Daveport said the Administration would like to think of this year's rise as "part of an upward trend." Since final grades are usually higher than midyear ones, she predicted that as much as 60 per cent of the 'Cliffe freshmen might make Dean's List by the end of the year.

Sargent Kennedy '38, Registrar of Harvard College, disclosed comparable freshman midyear figures for the Classes of '61 and '62. Last year 23.7 per cent of the freshmen had Group Three or better at midyears, 'while this year 31.6 per cent achieved the same level.

Nothing that Radcliffe figures were higher in both years, Kennedy added that the percentage for this year's Yardlings is nearer the average for the last decade than that of the Class of '61. "The record of the Class of '61 was somewhat disappointing," he explained.