Charity Drive Board Reveals Final Total, Distributes Funds

The Combined Charities Board of Directors yesterday announced a 1960 total of $23,675.74--highest in the history of the fund--and allocated the money to six recommended charities and 30 suggested organizations.

Of the $6,343 available for arbitrary distribution, the Board voted $1,290 to Phillips Brooks House. This amount, together with the contributions specifically designated for PBH, brought PBH's total to the $2,000 it plans on each year from the Drive.

Of the $6,343 the Directors held $1,000 for an emergency fund and for 1961 drive expenses. Expenses for 1960 totaled $740.

For the five other "recommended" charities the group voted one-half of the remaining $4,000, divided in proportion to the popularity of the funds in students' specified gifts. The remaining $2,000 went to the 30 "recommended" charities in the same proportion.

The Directors also voted down a request by the United Ministry to Students to seat a representative on the Board. The Ministry reportedly feels that religious organizations are not well represented in the recommended list of charities. The President of the Student Council, a Council representative, the Drive's co-chairmen, the Presidents of the CRIMSON and WHRB, and the PBH Publicity Director serve on the HCC Board.