M.I.T. Students Hear Goldwater Present Conservative's Viewpoint

Discusses Kennedy's Policies

Senator Barry Goldwater brought his conservative doctrine to M.I.T. last night before an alternately cheering and hissing overflow crowd of 1500 in Kresge Auditorium.

The Arizona Republican said the country is "not as bad as President Kennedy painted it, but not as good as President Eisenhower saw it," and went on to endorse some of the new President's stands. He added that the GOP would perhaps be better as the opposition party than as the party in power.

"We have had plenty of experience in that role," he said.

The President has vowed to keep Communism out of the Western Hemisphere and "thus far has indicated a firm foreign policy," Goldwater stated. "We conservatives hope he sticks to it."

Kennedy was right during the campaign, according to Goldwater, who made a similar assertion in the fall, when he advocated support for opposition to the Castro regime in Cubs.

Claiming that the cost for an increased minimum wage would cause higher prices, however, Goldwater branded Kennedy's minimum wage proposal "most untimely."

Among the other Goldwater offerings in a lengthy question period:

On the neutral nations: They should go one way or the other. They want to be on the side of the winner, and the U.S. can win their support, not by "foreign aid as a tool for peace," but by acting "as if we wanted to win the cold war."

On recognition of Red China: "No. . . . I am in favor of withdrawing recognition of Russia. We lose everything; they gain everything on exchanges."

On education: The Federal government should perhaps institute uniform standards, "but Federal funds must have restrictions. Controls, although not violent at first, are there for abuse."

On fraternities, subversive characters, and Harvard: "I never mentioned Harvard or Communism in that press conference. The report was inaccurate and I have so informed Senator Saltonstall" (who questioned Goldwater about the statement). "I did say that I am surprised that one of our great educational institutions should teach Keyensian economics."