Amherst Topples Crimson Five, 51-41

By R. ANDREW Sever

The varsity basketball team's season debut again Amherst Saturday night was, as captain Gene Augustine had predicated, a content in which Harvard could not afford to make many mistakes.

Harvard made many mistakes-and bowed 51 to 41 to a rather unimpressive lord Jeff five Amherst, as expected, played a very slow, deliberate, ball-control games, and employed an effective full-court press throughout the contest. The shot into an early 6 to 0 lead, and the combination of this early deficit and the Jeffs' slow-moving offense forced the Crimson to hurry their own playing.

The varsity's shooting was execrable; of 17 shots. In additions, the Crimson the team was behind 26 to 17 at the end of the first half after hitting on only four shooting.

The Jeffs, who increased their lead to 17 points before the Crimson closed the were paced by Dave Holmes, who tallied was plagued by shoddy passing, repeated traveling violations, and mediocre foul gap late in the contest, clicked on 43 per cent of their shots from the floor. They two figures. Vern Strand was high man 17 points, and Steve Rich, who scored 12. None of the Crimson players scored in with nine points: Pete Kelley collected eight.

Coach Floyd Wilson's aggregation plays its home opener here against Boston College Thursday; two nights later they tackle Tufts. The Crimson's only other contests before Ivy League competition begins in January are games against Holy Cross Dec. 12, Brandies Dec. 15, and a holiday tourney at Evansville (Ind.) College Dec. 23 and 29.