Cliffies Favor Abolishing Curfew

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Radcliffe undergraduates have voted strongly in favor of allowing students past their freshman year to sign out till any hour, in a College-wide opinion poll conducted by the Radcliffe Government Association.

Returns from more than 60 per cent of the College endorsed the Rules Committee’s proposal by a two to one majority, Helen S. A. Garvy '64, chairman, reported at the RGA meeting yesterday. She denied one representative's charge vague that “the vague wording of the choices fuzzied up the voting" and said her Committee will now "try to draw up a detailed list of revisions designed to satisfy as many people as possible."

If the Radcliffe College Council approves the RGA constitution and by-laws, giving the group power to change the social rules, the Rules Committee will present its final proposal late in May. If the Council decides to defer action on the RGA until next fall, the rules changes will have to wait till then.

In the poll, approximately 400 students supported the Rules Committee's stand that "each student is responsible for her own behavior" and that curfew rules compromise individual judgment.

Two hundred voters approved an alternate proposal drawn up by Carol E. White '64. Declaring that "the supposition that Radcliffe girls are intelligent, responsible adults is largely false." Miss Write suggested several minor changes in the present rules but urged the RGA to retain curfew regulations.

The other 100 votes split about equally between those who wanted to keep the current system and those who disagreed with both proposals and offered other suggestions for revising the rules.

The Rules Committee will spend the next month reading through polls and continuing to collect opinions from the student body. If the students who have not yet voted choose to turn in their ballots. Miss Garvy said, their opinions will be considered. She maintained, however, that the present total is representative and that percentages would not be changed significantly by later returns.

Student Life