Wilcox Presents Faculty Report on Soph Standing

By Frederic L. Rallard jr.

Though the scholastic aptitude of students with Sophomore Standing is no than that of normal undergraduates, the Sophomore Standing student distances his classmates in academic work at College, Edward T. Wilcox, of Advanced Standing, reported to the Faculty at its monthly meeting .

was the most notable of several trends Wilcox pointed out in the six-year of the Sophomore Standing and single-subject Advanced Placement . There was no vote taken at the meeting, and there were no decisions publish Wilcox's report and discuss it again at a later time.

Distribute Courses

Wilcox said that Sophomore Standing students distributed their courses over fields than that in which they were concentrating, and that the Program, , was not upsetting the traditional balance of a liberal arts education. made no comment on how the non-academic aspects of a Harvard education might be affected by removing one year from a student's time here. half of the Sophomore Standing students leave the College after years.

Atleast one Faculty member, John H. Finley, Jr., Master of Eliot House, the concept of a three-year education. Speaking in the discussion after Wilcox had completed his report, Finley said that many students should have a "victorious" fourth year--one in which they had mastered some of the difficulties of college education--to cap their stay at the University.

Another Trend

Besides the high performance of Sophomore Standing students, for which he did not offer any specific explanation, another major trend Wilcox brought out was that the number of students with Sophomore Standing or Advanced Placement is not increasing so fast as it used to. He suggested that even so, the number of sophomores in each incoming class might rise until half the undergraduates in the College were staying at Harvard only three years. The Faculty reaction to this possibility was not enthusiastic.

The point was raised that students who took a B.A. degree after three years might be given a Master's degree for work at the graduate level in their fourth year. But J.P. Elder, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, said that students would have to be accepted in the GSAS before any graduate degree could be conferred. On in the GSAS, a student can count graduate level work, done as an undergraduate, toward a Ph.D., but not an M.A.

Distribute Courses

Another Trend

Distribute Courses

Another Trend

Another Trend

Another Trend