'Cliffe Hikes Board Rates, Room Rents

Nine Per Cent Rise Planned for 1962-63

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Radcliffe College will raise room and board rates by nearly nine per cent for the 1962-63 academic year.

The annual room charge, standardized last year at $460, will go up to $500. Full board, required of all students living in the nine brick dormitories, will rise from $570 to $620 a year. Off-campus board fees will be $256 annually, an increase of $21.

The change brings Radcliffe's room and board rates within $5 of the average Harvard fees for next year.

"This step was deemed necessary because it is our belief that a college should neither make nor lose money through its dining and room facilities," President Bunting reported. Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, administrative vice-President, said yesterday that the College has been losing money on its room and board charges for several years and that a heavy deficit projected for 1962-63 forced the increase.

"Students unable to pay the full rate will be helped through financial aid," President Bunting said. "We regret the timing of this announcement, but the decision was made on the basis of the budget and could not be made earlier."

The College Council, Radcliffe's governing board, passed the budget at a meeting on April 2.

Radcliffe last raised its room and board charges three years ago. At that time, before room rates were standardized, all fees went up roughly five per cent. According to Radcliffe's statistics, operating costs have increased five per cent annually for the last seven years.