'Cliffe Names 32 Women To New Institute

Scholars' Interests Cover Wide Range

By Mary ELLEN Gale

The Radcliffe Institute for Independent Study will expand from 22 members this year to 32 in 1962-63, Constance E. Smith, Director of the Institute, announced yesterday.

Seventeen women, whose specialties range from landscape architecture to political science, will join the Institute next Fall. In addition, 15 members appointed last June will have their grants renewed for an additional year.

"We will expect to add some Fellows of the Institute as we go along," Miss Smith said yesterday.

Expressing the hope that the Institute will eventually be able to support from 40 to 50 scholars each year, Miss Smith stressed, "It's possible to shape the program to the needs of the people who want to come here."

Wide Range of Subjects

Although the new members' specialties cover a very wide range of subjects, Miss Smith declared that "the members were selected on the basis of their individual projects and qualifications rather than their particular fields of study"

Next year's scholars will receive stipends of up to $3,000, except for the winner of the Helen C. Putnam Research Fellowship. This award, formerly administered by the Radcliffe Graduate School, provides an unspecified amount of more than $3,000 and next year will go to Eva Somjen, a clinical psychologist from New Zealand.

Painter Among New Members

The 17 new members include Janet Abramowicz, a painter and print-maker with a diploma from the Academia delle Belle Arti in Bologna, Italy; Marcia Allentuck, a lecturer in English literature at City College in New York, who will study British and German aesthetics and literature; and Ingrid G. Brainard, a musicologist who will prepare a study of 15th century dancing and its contribution to cultural history and musicology.

Also, Isabel Canet, a marine zoologist formerly director of the Fisheries Research Center in Havana, Cubs; Selma T. Damon, a dentist and the wife of Albert Damon, associate professor of Epidemiology at the School of Public Health; and Mildred G. Goldberger, a mathematician who plans to study the teaching of elementary school mathematics.

Helen Manning Hunter, an economist, will study the historical relationship between the growth of consumer debt and the growth of income and spending. For the past ten years a lecturer in Economics at Swarthmore, she is the wife of Holland Hunter, professor of Economics at Haverford College, who will spend his sabbatical year at the Russian Research Center.

Writer Wen O. Henry Award

Other members are Diane K. McGuire, a landscape architect; Maria Teresa M. Moevs, a classical archaeologist wife of Robert Moevs, assistant professor of Music; Tillie Olsen, a creative writer who won the 1961 O. Henry Award for the best American short story published in the previous year; and Marianna Pineda, a prize-winning sculptor.

Also, Alice K. Smith, a historian working on a study of the political role of scientists after the Second World War, and Mrs. Somjen, who will study the psychological after effects of meningitis in children. She is married to Dr. George Somjen, who will be attached to the Harvard Medical School.

Erika Spivakovsky will study 16th century Spanish history; Virginia C. Watkin, a lawyer, will analyze the systems of taxation currently in use in various Latin American countries; Jean Huleatt Wheeler will specialize in political science, and charity Willard will study medieval European literature.