Radcliffe May Help Finance Co-ed Union

"Radcliffe is willing to pay part of the cost of a joint Harvard-Radcliffe student union" Mrs. Bunting said recently.

"Neither Harvard nor Radcliffe has made proper provision for a place for their students to work together," Mrs. Bunting said, "and a student union would alleviate many problems."

She suggested that such a union could be built somewhere between the Radcliffe Quad and the Harvard House area, "probably near the Loeb Drama Center."

Asks Snack Bar

"A student union could be used for many more functions than the existing facilities in Agassiz," Mrs. Bunting said. She specifically suggested that a union provide a snack bar, work and recreation rooms, and a coed swimming pool."

Mrs. Bunting noted that by providing a place for joint social activities, a student union could take some of the pressure for Harvard-Radcliffe activities off the Houses. She warned, however, that a union must be used for specific activities and not become "just a place to loll around."

HCUA Recommends Union

A special subcommittee of the Harvard Council on Undergraduate Affairs recently recommended that the College build a student union for Harvard and Radcliffe, and suggested that Lehman Hall could be turned into such a facility.

University officials have already announced, however, that they intend to turn Lehman Hall into the new Dudley House when the second half of the Holyoke Center is constructed next year. A student union located closer to Radcliffe, near the Loeb, may thus be feasible.