Nine Trounces B.C., 5-0 Take GBL Title

By J. MICHAEL Crichton

The varsity baseball team win clinched the Greater Boston League title for the second consecutive year as they stomped Boston College, 5-0. Paul Del Rossi pitched for the Crimson, allowing one hit and fanning nine batters; it was his seventh win of the year.

In many ways, the B.C. game was a frustrating one. The varsity left eight men stranded on base in the first three innings, and seemed unable to get that crucial hit. It was not until the sixth inning, when the Crimson scored three runs, that the game was finally taken out of the Eagles' hands.

The varsity opened scoring in the top of the first inning, when, with two out. Terry Bartolet walked, Tom Stephenson singled, and both Gavin Gilmor and Lee Patrick walked, bringing Bartolet home. Needless to say, Boston College's starting pitcher, a young fellow named Carter, left the mound--the first of four men to face Crimson batters that afternoon.

Men Stranded

In that inning, the Crimson left the bases loaded. The team did the same in the second inning. In the third inning, singles by Gilmor, Patrick, and Diehl brought Gilmor across the plate for the second run of the day, but the varsity was retired with two men still on base.

Harvard finally went to work in the sixth, with two out and nobody on. Bartolet singled, and Stephenson and Gilmor walked, loading the bases. A solid double by Patrick knocked in all three men, and virtually ended the game as far as B.C. was concerned. Patrick had four RBI's during the day and two hits. Bartolet and Diehl also collected two hits apiece.

Harvard had no errors; Boston College had four, but all Crimson runs were earned.

Del Rossi pitched one of his better games, allowing one hit in the fourth, and at one point retiring 11 men in a row. He also retired the last six batters.

The Crimson's record of 5-1 in the Greater Boston League surpassed Northeastern, B.U., and B.C., each of which had two losses. The varsity's only defeat was a 9-1 loss to Northeastern.