Speeches, Orations Poem, Ames Award Mark '63 Class Day

By W. MAX Byrd

Over a thousand seniors, their parents, and friends jammed Lowell Lecture Hall yesterday morning to hear what many observers called one of the best Class Day Exercises in recent years.

Rev. R. Jerrold Gibson, Acting Minister of Memorial Church, opened the Exercises with a prayer. He was followed by the Class Orator, Joseph E. Clements, who spoke on the present struggle for racial equality in America.

Fritz G. A. Eager then read the Class Poem, an original work of eloquence and insight. He in turn was followed by the Ivy Orator, Thomas J. Babe, Jr. Babe, to the delight of his audience, discussed at length the place of the "Wonk" at Harvard. Citing a wide range of authorities, including the Yale Program for the Advancement of Adult Propensities and Plato's Wonk, Babe urged kindness and understanding for the "wonk" and called on those present to regard him with tolerance if not affection. Do not pass a wonk, he pleaded movingly, without saying, "There, wonk, you're doing a good job."

This done, Dean Monro presented the two Ames Awards for self-reliance, service, and high character to Cornelius J. Minihan, past president of the HCUA and to Jon W. Clifton, president of Phillips Brooks House. Dean Ford then made some remarks of "appreciation and exhortation" to the Class. Dean Ford was followed by Albert Pratt '33, president of the Associated Harvard Clubs, who congratulated the seniors on their graduation.

The morning closed with a reading of the Class Ode by David S. Cole. Bentley H. Layton led the audience in singing the Ode.