Varsity Runners Obliterate Dartmouth

Hewlett Sets Record; Crain, Dave Allen Tie Over 5-Mile Course

Walt Hewlett set a new course record and Harvard won its fourth cross-country meet in six tries, sweeping Dartmouth, 15-47, at Franklin Park yesterday.

Hewlett, unbeaten in six races this year, waltzed home first in 25:45, breaking by 11 seconds the course record he set in the Cornell meet earlier this year.

No one expected Hewlett to lose, but there was some surprise at the ease with which five other runners raced home ahead of Dartmouth's captain Lee Daneker after the five-mile jaunt.

Daneker had run second in the meet last season, beating most of the members of this year's team. But today Harvard Captain Bill Crain and Dave

But Roy Cobb took the tenth spot for Harvard, five seconds behind Stout. Charles Redmond and Ed Laws took 12th and 13th for Harvard in 23:02 and 23:05 respectively, before Gregg Audette closed out the Dartmouth scoring by taking 14th.

Allen coasted home in a manufactured tie for second, 53 seconds behind Hewlett.

Sophomore Jim Smith took fourth place in 26:46, eight seconds ahead of John Chaffee, who completed Harvard's sweep of the five top spots.

Roger Smith, a junior, took sixth for Harvard in 27:02, seven seconds ahead of Daneker, the first Dartmouth runner to finish. His seventh-place finish barely averted a perfect 15-46 sweep for Harvard.

Dartmouth took eighth and ninth places, with Roy Benson eighth in 27:18 and David Stout ninth, nine seconds later.

The freshmen cross-country team won its meet from Dartmouth 20-41, though Dartmouth's Steve Atwood won the individual race in the time of 17:05. It was only the second time in six races that the Yardlings runners have failed to take first place.

They made up for it this time by sweeping the second through sixth positions, although Dave Stemson, one of the team's best runners, was out of action.

Jim Baker, the team's newly elected captain, came in second in 17:14, just seven seconds ahead of teammate Howie Foss. Steve Marx and Bill Wilson took fourth and fifth in identical times of 17:33 and Bill Burnes was sixth in 17:36.