Varsity Wrestlers Down M.I.T.; Hall Wins As Sub, Henjyoji Pins

Harvard's varsity wrestlers beat M.I.T. 17-9 last night as sophomore Jeff Hall, a last-minute substitute for the Crimson, insured victory by decisioning the M.I.T. captain.

Before the crucial match, Hall's position was unenviable. He was a 157-pounder filling in for Chris Wickens at 167. He was wrestling in his first varsity meet, and his opponent was senior Bob Wells, the Tech captain. Underdog M.I.T. was trailing 11-6, and a pin would have squared the team totals.

But late in the first period, Hall caught Wells by surprise with a lightning take-down and near fall, gaining a 6-1 advantage. Stung by the unexpected deficit, Wells attacked fiercely throughout the final two periods, but Hall stood him off to take a 6-4 win and provide Harvard with an impregnable 14-6 margin. Hall's defensive tactics cost him a point for stalling and drew the anger of M.I.T. partisans.

The Crimson took a quick 5-0 lead when Howard Henjyoji, one of the four sophomores starting for Harvard, wore down Larry Silverman of M.I.T. and pinned him at 2:11 of the second period in the 123-pound class.

Seesaw Score

Until Hall's climactic match, the score seesawed. Harvard won two decisions with Tom Gilmore beating Tom Hall at 137 and Ed Franquemont defeating Bill Thilly at 157. M.I.T. also took two, as Tim Connelly overpowered Mike King at 130 and Marland Whiteman edged Phil Emmi at 147.

After Ben Brooks, the Harvard captain, was decisioned by Dave Schramm in the 177-pound class, the Engineers still had a chance to tie the match with a pin in the unlimiteds. But the Crimson's Tack Chance, enjoying a considerable weight advantage, completely outclassed Brooks Landis for an easy decision to end the meet.