Sexlet Outguns Huskies in Consolation As B.C. Nips B.U. for Beanpot Crown

By Joel Havemann

As 13,909 fans were filtering into Boston Garden to watch the Beanpot finals matching Boston College against Boston University, Harvard outshot Northeastern 7-5 to take a disappointing third place in the tournament.

Gene Kinasewich scored four times and Baldy Smith twice in the lacklustre consolation game. B.C.'s John Cunniff, voted most valuable player of the tournament, scored twice to lead the Eagles to a 6-5 win in the finals.

In the Crimson game, seven scores mottled a first period which was so lacking in action that even the public address man sounded bored while announcing the goals. Harvard scored for the first of four times when Kinasewich beat Husky goalie Gus Capizzo from 30 feet.

Northeastern defensive lapses set up Barry Treadwell and Baldy Smith for two of the other early Crimson tallies. Kinasewich scored the fourth through Capizzo's pads.

Three Northeastern goals kept the Huskies in the game after 20 minutes. After Leo Dupere and Bill Seabury had scored on long angle shots, Charles MacGillivray knocked in Seabury's rebound with only five seconds left in the period.

After a scoreless second period, the last frame took up where the first one left off. In only 77 seconds, Kinasewich and Smith scored to give the Crimson a 6-3 edge.

After Paul Bloh's close-in shot slid under Harvard goalie Brandy Sweitzer, Kinasewich scored his fourth on a long screened shot. The Huskies' Bill Seabury scored the last goal of the night with Harvard's Bob Clark in the penalty box.

In the exciting finale, B.C. scored four times in the last period to overcome a two goal deficit and just hung on to win 6-5. After B.C. took a 6-4 lead at 17:25 of the last period, B.U. scored with less than a minute and a half left to draw within one goal.

As the final busser sounded, Ternier Bob Martell was skating in alone with the puck on the Eagle cage. Disgusted he fired the puck into the backboards and smashed his stick on the ice.