JFK Institute Will Be Part of Littauer Center

By Donald E. Graham

The John F. Kennedy Institute will be a part of the Graduate School of Public Administration, President Pusey said yesterday.

Pusey also said that plans for the Institute might be drawn up "not more than a year from now," and that he would be "delighted" to see the Institute--and the rest of the Kennedy Library complex--located on the Bennett St. MBTA Yard site.

The relationship of the Kennedy Institute and the University has been one of the more controversial questions concerning the Kennedy Library. The formal purpose of the Institute is "to bring together the world of politics and the academic world." Some of those who have proposed plans for the Institute have suggested that a close connection with Harvard might lead it to become a body more concerned with academic than with political affairs.

Plans for the Institute are still in a very early stage, however. The final program will probably be the creation of Richard E. Neustadt, professor of government at Columbia University, who is almost certain to be appointed the Institute's first director. The question of a site has also been controversial. President Kennedy visited Cambridge in the spring of 1963 and chose a four acre area near the Business School for the Library.

Because the Library will contain a memorial to the President, and because it will contain the Institute as well, it will probably be somewhat larger than Kennedy envisioned. The Kennedy family and Ieoh Ming Pei, the architect who will design the library, are known to prefer the MBTA Yard site, which is three times as large as the Business School location.