'Cliffe Watchmen Seek Arbitration By State Board

By Linda G. Mcveigh

The six Radcliffe night watchmen who were replaced this week by Harvard Police said last night that they are dissatisfied with the provisions the college has made for them and will press for arbitration of their contract.

Their union--the Building Service Employees International, Local 254--has filed for a hearing before the Massachusetts Board of Conciliation and Arbitration, but no date has been set for the proceedings.

The watchmen contend that the college violated its agreement by sub-contracting for University police protection. In their suit, the union will argue that the six men should be retained as watchmen until June 30, 1966, when the pact will expire. Until then, police should be used only to supplement the protection of the watchmen, Edward T. Sullivan, spokesman for Local 254, declared last night.

Radcliffe has retained the six men in other positions, Sullivan noted, but offered lower-paying jobs to two of them. The two have started independent grievance procedures against the college.

J. Boyd Britten, Administrative Vice-President of Radcliffe, yesterday denied that the college has violated the contract. "We've done the humane thing in finding jobs for these men," he said.