THE TEN PER CENT

The Mail:

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In reply to Johanna M. Lessinger's letter to the editors of the CRIMSON concerning the Coop's textbook pricing (Oct. 9), I have checked the incident mentioned in the letter and find that our textbook department was entirely at fault.

For many years The Coop has had a standard method of buying and reselling textbooks. We believe that we are one of the few book stores handling secondhand books where both the buyer and seller know exactly what per cent of the list price the book is being either bought or sold at. A schedule of our policy is available for our customers at the buy-back counter. Quoting from the schedule dated April 1, 1963 for required and recommended titles, our policy is as follows:   Buy  Sell Excellent Condition  50% of retail  70% of retail Good Condition  40% of retail  60% of retail Fair Condition  30% of retail  50% of retail

The Society's textbook buyer, a most competent young man, admits that he came in on the tail end of Mrs. Lessinger's conversation with the clerk at the counter and is very red-faced over the incident. After going back to his desk he refigured the price of the book in question and found he had made a mathematical error and multiplied by 80 per cent rather than 70 per cent. He admits he should have checked his figures while she was still in the store. Shortly after she left the book in question was remarked at its properly scheduled price of $5.95.

I trust Mrs. Lessinger will accept my apologies for all the inconvenience caused her. John G. Morrill   General Manager   Harvard Co-operative Society