Ivy Predictions Fall Apart But Princeton Wins Again

Princeton's victory over Penn Saturday was the only note of sanity in an otherwise upset-ridden ivy football weekend.

The Tigers won, 51 to 0, a result which was not too surprising, But in other games Yale stunned Cornell, 24 to 14. Brown beat Colgate, 6 to 0; and Columbia edged Rutgers, 12 to 7.

Princeton ran up a 41-0 halftime lead behind the running and passing of Ron Landeck, then put in its second string for the rest of the game. Charley Gogolak, the soccer-style kicker, booted field goals of 44, 43 and 47 yards, bringing the season total to 14, an all-time collegiate record.

Yale's win over Cornell gave the upstart Elis a 2-1 Ivy record and dropped the Big Red to 0-2-1 in the standings. Yale's Court Shevelson ran the opening kick-off 22 yards for a touchdown and the Elis built up a 21-7 halftime lead. Cornell cut the margin to seven points in the third quarter, but after that the Big Red was stopped twice inside the Yale 15.

Brown's win over Colgate was its first of the year. The Bruins' Bob Hall, whose passing all season has been spectacular but ineffective, and led the team on a 58-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter. He threw a nine-yard pass for the only score of the game. The loss was Colgate's second of the year; before losing to Princeton last week, they had not yielded a touchdown all year.

Columbia's 12-7 win over Rutgers was equally shocking. Trailing by a point, the Lions drove 63 yards in the last quarter to upend the Scarlet Knights. Columbia quarterback Rick Ballantine had his finest afternoon of the season; he completed 14 of 22 passes for 144 yards.

In Ivy action next weekend Princeton hosts Brown, Dartmouth plays at Yale, Columbia meets Cornell, and Harvard faces Penn.