Cliffies Can't Eat At Dudley House For Free -- Now

There's been a slight misunderstanding at Dudley House.

For several years, Cliffies have been eating lunch at the Dudley House dining hall rather than returning to Radcliffe Yard. Naturally, they've had to pay for the meals with Harvard coupon books. And for these several years, Dudley House has called this system "interhouse."

Last year, a reciprocal system was introduced by Radcliffe and Harvard Colleges which allows Cliffies to eat free meals at Harvard Houses in exchange for free Harvard meals at Radcliffe. This was called "interhouse."

This year, the Dudley House dining hall hired a new manager, who didn't understand the difference between the two "interhouse." He thought that the girls who ate lunch at Dudley House were part of the reciprocal "interhouse," and only had them sign the interhouse sheet for meals. Soon the word spread about this profitable confusion.

On October 25, Thomas E. Crooks '49, blaster of Dudley House, was eating lunch at the dining hall. He noticed 68 names on the interhouse sheet and not a penny's worth of coupon books.

The next day Crooks posted a sign in the Dudley House dining hall, clarifying the differences between the two "interhouses." Cliffies were welcome to eat lunch there but they had to pay for it with coupons.

Thus, things are back to normal at Dudley House. Except now, discussions are under way to set up a free "interhouse" system at Dudley lunches.