Bill Halting BRA in North Harvard Gains Mass. State Senate Approval

A bill that would halt the North Harvard urban renewal project of the Boston Redevelopment Authority yesterday passed the Massachusetts State Senate by a voice vote.

The legislation would return the land that the BRA now owns under eminent domain to the original owners and order the Authority to rehabilitate, rather than destroy, the homes in the area behind the Business School. The bill, introduced in August by Senator Beryl Cohen (D-Brookline), will be considered by the House next week.

Since the BRA tore down 14 houses in August, it has evicted no more residents. The Boston City Council has voted to ask the BRA to halt further evictions until the legislature acts on the pending bill.

"One of Logue's Boys"

Stevan B. Goldin '64-4, who led the anti-BRA forces last summer and was arrested for blocking his own eviction, said he is confident of the bill's passage. But he added that the coming House fight would be tougher than the one in the Senate because (House Majority Leader Robert) "Quinn is one of Logue's boys." Edward J. Logue, Administrator of the BRA, is an appointee of Boston Mayor John F. Collins.

Any substantial change in the North Harvard project must be considered a blow to the ambitions of Mayor Collins He has already announced he will seek the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate seat of Leverett Saltonstall '14 (R-Mass.) Collins has built his political career on urban renewal and "the New Boston."