Princeton, Indians Win; Their Game 'The Game'

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

Princeton and Dartmouth rolled over respectable Ivy football teams Saturday to prepare the way for this Saturday's showdown, which will determine the Ivy League championship and probably the Lambert Trophy for the East's outstanding team.

After stumbling against solid Yale resistance for the first 20 minutes of play, Princeton tailback Ron Landeck ran for three second-period touchdowns to lead the Tigers to a 31-6 victory. It was Princeton's 17th straight win, its 13th in a row over Ivy opponents, and its fifth consecutive conquest of Yale.

Dartmouth, meanwhile, extended its record to 8-0 by methodically smearing Cornell on a rain-soaked Hanover field, 20-0.

In other Ivy play Penn stormed from a 21-0 first-quarter deficit to humble Columbia, 31-21.

Bill Creeden, Penn's sophomore quarterback, pitched three touchdowns in the second half, two of them to another sophomore, wingback Rick Owens.

Princeton 31, Yale 6

Princeton, hampered by poor field position early in the game, pulled a 47-yard quick-kick to the Yale 3-yard line near the end of the first period. After forcing an Eli punt, the Tigers marched directly for a touchdown, with Landeck plowing for the final yard.

Princeton followed with touchdowns the next two times it had the ball. Landeck scored both, on a 4-yard sweep and on an 11-yard double reverse. The Tiger tailback hit Bill Potter on a 26-yard pass for Princeton's final score, early in the fourth period.

Behind the running of Landeck, Bert Kerstetter, and John Bowers, Princeton amassed 222 yards on the ground. The Tiger pass defense held Yale to 118 yards and 12 completions in 35 attempts. Pete Doherty, replacing frustrated Eli quarterback Watts Humphrey in the fourth quarter, threw an 11-yard pass to end Bob Kenney for the lone Bulldog score.

Princeton's field-goal specialist, Charlie Gogolak kicked a 43-yarder and four extra points, breaking NCAA records each time he put his foot into the leather.

Dartmouth 20, Cornell 0

Against Cornell, Dartmouth had trouble moving the ball down deep in Big Red territory. Bill Hay booted field goals of 33 and 30 yards in the first period to give the Indians a 6-0 halftime lead.

In the third quarter, Dartmouth's Wynn Mabry took a short punt at his own 18, yard line, eluded four on-looking Cornell tacklers who thought he had signaled for a fair catch, and scampered 72 yards for a touchdown. "I knew it was a short kick," Mabry said, "so I yelled 'fair catch' as I was running. When I caught the ball I realized I hadn't put my hand up. I knew I was involved in a legal play and that I was a fair target, so I ran."

Dartmouth's final score came with eight seconds left in the game, when fullback Pete Walton swept left end for 13 yards to the Cornell 6-yard line and then pitched out to quarterback Mickey Beard, who took the ball in for the score. Walton and halfback Bob O'Brien accounted for more than half of Dartmouth's 220 yards rushing.

After last Saturday's results, the League race fits into a perfect pattern for the season's final week. Each of the eight Ivy teams will be playing the opponent which is closest to it in the League standings.

Dartmouth and Princeton, for the first time since the Ivy League was organized in 1956, will both come undefeated into this Saturday's clash at Princeton. Harvard and Yale, tied for third place, will pair off Saturday at New Haven. Cornell and Penn, in fifth place with identical records, meet on Thanksgiving Day. Columbia will try to avoid sharing the cellar spot with Brown in Saturday's tilt in New York. Ivy Football Standings Dartmouth  6  0  0  1.000 Princeton  6  0  0  1.000 Harvard  2  2  2  .500 Yale  3  3  0  .500 Cornell  2  3  1  .417 Pennsylvania  2  3  1  .417 Columbia  1  5  0  .167 Brown  0  6  0  .000