Socialist Group Will Investigate Harlem Situation

The Harvard, Socialist Club is launching a program to inform Harvard students of the racial situation in Harlem.

Albert L. Maher '62-2, one of the leaders of the group said last night that the Harlem conflict is a "struggle for economic citizenship against the Federal government and the political system."

He said that Harvard students are often deluded by the "myth that the South is a sort of semi-foreign, country." The Socialists believe that racism is an overall problem, as evidenced by the riots in several Northern cities last summer. They hope to prove this point by focusing on New York, "a liberal city."

blamed U.S. racial problems on "the structure of people in this society." The Socialists will examine this premise closely with a concentrated study of Harlem this semester.

The Socialist Club is presently conducting a seminar on the "Harlem Six" murder case. According to Jared M. Israel '67, another leader of the Club, six Negro boys are being held by the New York police for a murder they did not commit. They were accused because they are "Negro and poor," he said.

Truman Nelson, a local author interested in the case, William McAdoo, chairman of the Harlem Defense Council, and several of the arrested boys' mothers will speak at meetings here this spring.