Yardling Track Team Breaks Records As It Rolls Over All Nine Opponents

The freshman indoor track team raced to a 9-0 record this winter, setting one university and four freshman records along the way.

Captain Jim Baker, Jeff Huvelle, and the relay teams were the pacemakers for Coach Kid Meehan's squad, setting freshman records in the 1000, mile, 600, and smile and two-mile relays.

The only fairly close meet was the first, against Army. The Crimson won, 60-49, with Baker running the 1000 in 3:16.9, Huvelle running the 600 in 1:12.3, and the mile relay, team finishing at at 3:22.6, all freshman records.

The only problem the team faced after that was deciding which records to break in each meet. Against Brown, Baker ran the mile in 4:21.1, a new freshman mark. The next night, in the Knights of Columbus meet, he lowered his time to 4:17.7. In the same meet, the two-mile relay team of William Burns, Richard Langenbach, Dave McKelvey, and Robert Stempson set another freshman record with a 7:49.4 timing. Against Dartmouth, Huvelle ran the 600 in 1:11.9, breaking the University record of 1:12.0 held jointly by Bill Anderson, Jim Cairns, and Pat Liles.

The team is cosmopolitan enough to stage its own Olympics. Its members hall from England, Ireland, Nigeria, and Greece as well as 21 states, including Alaska.

This freshman team will fill a lot of holes in next year's varsity. Meehan prelicts that Huvelle will find a place as a niddle distance man, as will McKelvey. Burns, Frank Snowden Bol Cook, and Ed Brown, Baker, Stempson, Langenback, Steve Marx, Joe Ryan, and Bill Wilson all should land berths is the long distances.

Norris Childs and Tom Dublia have pole-vaulted 12-6 and should win places on the varsity, which has only one 12-foot vaulter returning. Carter Lord, Ros Wilson, and Clark Lemke are strong at the shot and weight. Lord, who combines the unlikely talents of shotputter and sprinter, will forego track this spring to go out for the freshman baseball team.

High jumper John Nelson will have to raise his 6 foot standard to join Chris Pardee on the varsity, and broad jumpers Dave Miller and Mark Johnson will have to improve their present 21 foot marks to make the team next year. Hurdlers Terenee Golden and Frank Haggerty face the prospect of competing against several returning lettermen.

In the sprints, the freshmen were led by Lord, Marshall Goldberg. Bill Thompson, and Charles Sklarsky, each of when has a good chance for a varsity position.

Meehan had special words of praise for Baker's work as captain. "He was a leader in performance, a leader in aspirations, and a leader in just pulling guys along with him." FRESHMAN RECORD Won 9, Lost 0 HARVARD 60  Army 49 HARVARD 69  Boston University 35 HARVARD 24  Boston College 25 HARVARD 77  Brown 32 HARVARD 65  Dartmouth 44 HARVARD 26  Holy Cross 22 HARVARD 79  Exeter 32 HARVARD 56 1/2  Yale 41 1/2 Princeton 39 HARVARD 70  Andover 35