Tenure Goes To Three In English Dept.

Ford Names Kaiser, Benson, and Seltzer

Three assistant professors of English have received tenure and will join the permanent Faculty as associate professors, July 1.

Dean Ford yesterday announced the appointments of Larry D. Benson, a and Allston Burr Senior Tutor in House; Walter J. Kaiser '54, a scholar in comparative literature of the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods; and Daniel Seltzer, a specialist in Elizabethan Drama who will also serve as associate director of the Loeb Drama Center.

Benson, a recent recipient of a Fellowship, will be on sabbati leave in England next year, studying English poetic techniques. His first Art and Tradition in Sir Gawain and Green Knight, will be published by University Press this fall.

A native of South Dakota, Benson joined Harvard Faculty in 1959 and teaches English 204. "The Structure of the Language," and English 210, "Readings in English."

Kaiser Won Prize

Kaiser, who specializes in Elizabethan and Jacobean prose and poetry, is on a of absence this year in Rome as an American Council of Learned Societies .

Winner of the 1963 Faculty Prize of the Harvard University Press for his study sixteenth century satirists, Kaiser teaches four courses in comparative , including Humanities 115, thought and Literature of the Renaissance."

Kaiser was appointed assistant professor in 1963.

Loeb Director

Seltzer, who is also on a sabbatical this year, was appointed assistant professor in 1961 and served as acting director of the Loeb last year.

He will teach in Humanities 3, the college's first credit course involving play introduction. Participation in a Loeb main play will be a course requirement, will also teach English 125, "Tudor Stuart Drama."

Seltzer has edited several Elizabethan and is working on a book on Elizabethan acting styles.

Kaiser Won Prize

Loeb Director

Kaiser Won Prize

Loeb Director

Kaiser Won Prize

Loeb Director

Loeb Director

Loeb Director