Faculty Faction Debates Bombing

Seventy-five Harvard Faculty members last night in the Faculty Club and discussed U.S. policy in Vietnam for early two and a half hours.

The group concluded that the United States should cease air attacks in North Vietnam and immediately begin negotiations which would include the Vietcong, recording to H. Stuart Hughes, professor of History, the temporary chairman. He that the Vietcong should be in the negotiations because it would be central any coalition government that would emerge from the talks.

The discussion was started by Benjamin I. Schwartz '38, professor of History Government. He was followed by DeWolfe Howe ', professor of in History and Literature.

On the suggestion of Henry D. Aiken, professor of Philosophy, the members decided to continue as an informal Faculty discussion group modeled after another several Faculty group that was organized before the Second World War.

At present, the group has appointed a committee, headed by Hughes, to discuss policy and plan meetings. Future for debate will include United States foreign policy in other areas of the world as well as in Vietnam.