Cornell Tops Sextet in Wild Contest Despite Jack Garrity's Three Goals

Cornell edged the Crimson hockey team 7 to 6 Saturday, after Harvard erased a three-goal deficit to tie the score early in the final period. The squeaky win before 9300 fans in Ithaca kept the Big Red undefeated in Ivy League play.

Jack Garrity turned the hat trick for Harvard, while Paul Althouse and Doug Ferguson scored twice each for Cornell. Dennis McCullough had two for the Crimson.

After an early Cornell goal, Harvard dominated play for most of the first period. McCullough scored at 7:50, with assists from Kent Parrot and Ben Smith, and again at 14:50 with Parrot and Bob Carr helping out. Nineteen seconds later, Garrity beat goalie Errol McKibbon and Harvard had a 3-1 cushion.

Quickies

Cornell tied it up on two quickies in the final two and a half minutes of the period, and the score was 3 to 3 at the first intermission.

The new layer of ice had hardly been scratched in the second period before the mighty Big Red pounded three goals past Bill Fitzsimmons. Four minutes into the period, it was 6 to 3 and Harvard's chances were dim.

Jack Garrity brought the Crimson a sotch closer at 9:15 of the period with his second score, assisted by Bob Fredo and Don Grimble. Six minutes later, it was Garrity again, scoring after a pass from Smith. McKibbon, who had been allowing less than two goals per game, seemed unable to handle the Crimson shooting.

Red Light

The Harvard six, always at its best this year against tough opponents, could sense an upset now. Eric Rosenberger took a pass from Pete Miller after four minutes of the final period, and the red light went on for the twelfth time as Rosenberger tied the score.

But careless play in the defensive zone killed the Crimson rally. Althouse, playing wing, stole the puck in the Harvard zone and scored unassisted at 9:47. It was his second goal, and it proved to be the winning one.

Fitzsimmons made 24 saves, while McKibbon stopped 20.

Freshmen Top JV's

The Harvard freshmen knocked off the junior varsity 6 to 4 at Watson Rink Saturday, but the game was not as tight as the score indicates. The freshmen played some sophisticated, impressive hockey and controlled the action for most of the game. The junior varsity played roughly, with a good deal of checking in the offensive zone which the officials chose to overlook.

Jim Otness scored twice for the freshmen on third-period slapshots, first from the blue line and then on a scorcher from the red line.