Hum 4 Students To Stage Plays

Students in Hum 4 will stage several one-act productions at the Loeb Experimental Theatre this Spring, Robert H. Chapman, associate professor of English, said yesterday. Students enrolled in the course will direct the plays and do all the acting and technical work.

The choice of plays to be produced will be left up to the students, Chapman said. He said he would insist, however, that they be representative of the genres under study during the semester: the theatre of the absurd, modern expressionist drama, and Oriental theatre.

No term paper will be required of students who participate in any of the special productions in any capacity. Students, who do not participate -- even if they work on a Loeb main stage or House play -- will have to write the paper, have ever.

Hum 4 is the first course to give credit for work in the theatre. The purpose of the course. Chapman said, was to expose students to both the literature and practice of the drama. "This Spring's program will insure that more students get the opportunity to participate in practical work than was possible last semester," he said.