Brown Booters, Harvard Harriers Will Not Compete in NCAA Meets

The best soccer team in the East won't be playing in the National Athletic Association championships this year.

Brown, the Ivy League champion, did not receive a bid to the tournament because of the dispute between the N.C.A.A. and the Ivys. Every Eastern team except one in the playoffs was defeated by Brown or by a team that had lost to the Bruins.

The N.C.A.A. last spring ruled that all athletes participating in N.C.A.A. sponsored events must have a minimum grade average of C-. The Ivy League objected to an athletic association dictating academic policy, and refused to honor the N.C.A.A. ruling.

Because of this feud, Ivy League schools are not sent invitations to all N.C.A.A. tournaments.

Brown won the Ivy title this year after its second consecutive undefeated and untied season.

In pre-season games, the Bruins defeated Army, Connecticut, and Long Island University. All three teams are playing in the N.C.A.A. playoffs which began yesterday. Army is expected to continue to the semi-finals in Berkeley, California on December 1.

Another Ivy title winner, Harvard's cross country team, also did not appear in this year's N.C.A.A. cross-country championships.

The cross country title was won Monday by Villanova, the team which won the IC4A's last week. Harvard came in eighth in the IC4A's contest.

Providence College, which was beaten by Harvard last week, took 19th place in the N.C.A.A. race. Harvard lost an early meet to Providence, 25-32, but placed far ahead of the Friars in the IC4A championships.